Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year, New Relationship

Happy New Year! No Mayan apocalypse (of course)! Life goes on and so do our relationships. Since this is the time of year we tend to set goals for the new year, I want to offer a few suggestions as to how you can make 2013 the best year of your marriage, no matter how long you have been together.

First off is gratitude. There is another human being that is willing to look past your imperfections and commit to being your spouse. This is certainly something to be grateful for. There are many things that are good about your spouse and your marriage, regardless of any imperfections. Focus on the good things. It is easy to let the negative grow so big that we no longer see the positive. Be aware of and grateful for what you have.

Next is to be your best self. Be the person you want your spouse to be. Just the other day I was thinking about something that my spouse didn't do for me. As I was getting ready to say something to her, miraculously my brain kicked in with a reminder of about 5 things that I should have done for her but had forgotten to do or had not yet done for her. So I shut my mouth and tried to do better myself. It is easy to be hypocritical and not even realize it. Love (the actions verb) your spouse. It is amazing how being a good person helps bring out the best in others.

Lastly, prioritize. Put your marriage in its rightful spot as the most important relationship you will ever have. Look at other areas of your life and make sure that nothing else takes priority over your spouse. Some things, like work or illness, may take more time in your life, but the priority, where you place your desire and importance, should be on your spouse.

Give these ideas a try and ring in the new year with a better marriage. Enjoy lucky '13!

No comments:

Post a Comment